Mandatory Mask Ordinance
July 31, 2020 - The Red Cliff Tribal Council passed an ordinance making face coverings (masks) mandatory within the Red Cliff Reservation boundaries effective Monday, August 3 in an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Under the ordinance, masks must be worn in all indoor spaces, and in outdoor public spaces, when within six (6) feet of someone who is not a member of the person’s family or household.
There are some exceptions to the ordinance. Those who are not required to wear masks include:
• Children under the age of five.
• Persons who meet certain medical conditions.
• Persons who are consuming food, drinking or smoking cigarettes while doing so.
• While driving, including passengers (the driving exception does not extend to public transport).
• Persons in settings where it is not practical or feasible to wear face coverings, including when obtaining or rendering goods or services such as dental services or medical treatments.
Fines for violating the ordinance start at $50 and could increase up to a maximum of $500 for repeated violations of the ordinance. Businesses that refuse to comply with the ordinance face fines and potential closure under the new law.
Please direct any questions to the Red Cliff Tribal Administration Building at 715-779-3700.